Route 66 Historical Village logo
Blue Star Memorial By-Way

Blue Star Memorial By-Way

The Route 66 Historic Village, features a Blue Star Memorial By-Way Marker, displayed proudly below the military flag display at the Route 66 Village.

 

The Blue Star Program honors all men and women that serve in the United States Armed Services. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs (now NGC, Inc.) adopted this program and began a Blue Star Highway system that covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers were placed along the way. The Blue Star was adopted because it had become an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war as well as in churches and businesses.

Our Memorial Marker was placed at the Village by the  America Dogwood Garden Club of Red Fork, Oklahoma.

Blue star memorial by-way, Dogwood Garden Club Redfork
Blue star flag.jpg

We are a destination on Historic Route 66, make plans to visit us soon...